1.09.2009

Patsy Cline - "Walkin' After Midnight" (Song of the Day)



I'm not a huge fan of country music, but some of the older stuff really does deserve the attention of any discerning music fan. I'm talking, to name just a few, Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, George Jones, (and even earlier than those artists) Hank Williams Sr., and especially Patsy Cline, whose voice I adore, despite lacking something in the departments of versatility and expressiveness.

Cline really came into her own in the 60's where she skirted the line between rock, country, and rockabilly with much success, both artistically and on the charts. But, I'll take her sole 50's hit, "Walkin' After Midnight" over any of the later stuff. The music, the voice, and the overall vibe that she puts out invokes an era that, at only 29 years, I have no direct connection to, yet still feel nostalgic for when I hear her music.

This is the song that I was humming to myself tonight when I found myself walking (after midnight) and freezing despite the wine that I had earlier consumed. It makes me romantic for a time and a place and a reality that is totally foreign to me, yet makes perfect sense when I hear this tune.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment