1.20.2009

Club 8 - "Jesus, Walk With Me"



This very quiet acoustic-based song is a bit of an aural departure for a group that usually produces a more dreamy, slightly electro-tinged, indie-pop sound. It is also a departure lyrically, in that one wouldn't characterize them as a christian group. I'm not a religious person. Songs with a religious slant are typically a bit of a turn-off for me. Not for that reason alone, but because they are so often dragged down by the overuse of proselytizing, preachy, moral platitudes.

This, however, does nothing to dampen my love for this gorgeous song "Jesus, Walk With Me" by Club 8, a Swedish group comprised of members of Poprace and the better known Acid House Kings. As I sat and listened to this one over and over I was mainly trying to figure out what it was in this quiet little tune that grabbed me with such force. It was these four lines:
Fool me into believing/
I don’t care if your deceiving me/
Before I go I need to be/
Something more than the skin and bones you see.
What "Jesus, Walk With Me" is saying to me has nothing to do with religion. It has everything to do with the way that those words hit me and what they meant upon impact. The way I take them, they could be sung to a friend, a lover, a family member, or a complete stranger. They speak to every person's need to feel wanted, needed, appreciated, understood, cared for, loved, and so on.

Sometimes the greatest feeling in the world is just knowing that there is someone out there that cares. I'm not going to get into a long-winded philosophical discussion here. But, in short, we don't really exist until somebody takes the time to show us that we matter. It is our interactions with others and the way those interactions affect both parties that make us "more than the skin and bones you see." Even if the sentiment is false or fleeting, during the time that you feel it, it is that sentiment that lets you know that you are alive. Some people get that feeling from religion. I get it from other people. And this song reminds me that as long as you're getting it from somewhere, you're doing alright.
Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment